Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Serious Questions yield Funny Answers....

Good Morning NMKRVeeeeeeeee!!!

Yesterday was a mirthful day for my colleague Prof. Manoj and I. We spent the better part of the day evaluating your mid-semester examination answer books.

Manoj Sir and I, we enjoy this…yes? It’s great fun…reading your answers that is…. Many of them are downright hilarious!

Halt! My intention in writing this post is not to mock you and your earnest efforts to perform well in your examinations. Without going into the humiliating details, here’s some good advice for you:

I am yet to meet a student or trainee in my 21-year adventurous work life who really wishes to fail a test. All of you have done well, given your 100% and you have been rewarded for you sincerity. That’s the good news.

But excellence comes at a heavy price. One has to ‘prepare well’ and ‘perform under pressure’ to score well in exams and life. That is a lesson which is self-taught. No professor can do justice to you and that topic of discussion in a classroom environment. We can only aspire to inspire.

Life experiences & failure are the greatest of all teachers. It’s not ‘what’ you learn here in college that matters when you march forward into a career …..but ‘how’ you learn it.

What is your attitude? Do you just want another degree? Or do you want to succeed in life for now and forever? Attitude is everything. With the right attitude, YOU CAN achieve the impossible!

Well, I did! (Psst! Pls don’t tell anyone. I was worse than most of you….lazy, arrogant, stupid. But my life changed when I changed.)

What Manoj Sir and I summarized after poring through reams and reams of answer sheets is that we are indeed blessed with a super-diligent batch of students this academic year. But tad confused.

Confusion usually occurs when you are performing under pressure. But if you have prepared well for the battle, then your self-confidence ensures you Win. Preparation is the key to success.

(Do you know that Manoj Sir spends 3 hours each morning reading 5 news dailies and catching up with the latest news updates on TV and websites before he comes to class to lecture you? Every single day!)

Preparing for exams has less to do with ‘mugging it all up’. At a Master’s level, that does not help much because the questions require intellectual discussion rather than thoughtless reproduction of over-stated facts and theories. All that is just the foundation we lay.

The foundations for my 1-BHK thatched hut in JP Nagar and your dream mansion….are structurally the same. In class, Manoj Sir and I endeavor to lay that strong foundation, for you to architect & build your dream palace on.

Go ahead! Be brave me lovelies, me hearties! Dare to think differently!

 We wish to test your understanding of the subject matter, not your memory. We want you to give the world “fresh perspective”.

And technique.., if you master the techniques of performing under pressure, you are a winner for life. What my learned colleague and I observed is most of you believe that ‘writing a lot…long answers..’ earns you more marks.

Sorry Ma’m!! Good technique is saying a lot by saying less.

Evaluators look for PERTINENT POINTS  in your answer. If all the relevant points are discussed adequately in your answer, you score well. You don’t get more marks for recreating Ramayana!!

That said, all of life is like answering a 100-mark Media Studies question paper. From time to time Life throws difficult situations at you and the only person you need to answer to …..is yourself. Questions like:


1.      Is this what I really want?
2.      Can I do it?
3.      Why am I here saying and doing all these things?
4.      Is it just my ‘Karma’? Or do I do it because I love doing it?
5.      Who are these people around me?
6.      Why am I with them?
7.      When should I do this?
8.      Have I done it before?
9.      How do I do this?
10.  Can I do it better? How?


When you find the right answers to these simplistic questions my babies, YOU RULE!! YOU ROCK!!

Prof. Manoj joins me is wishing you all the very best for your futures. We are forever there for you. Don’t you ever forget that!

Lots of Luv


Prof. Iron Man

No comments:

Post a Comment