Friday, October 16, 2015

Thinking out-of-the-box and the eternal paradox...

Good Moooornnninnnggg NMKRVeeeeee!!

If you are wondering what all the hype and hoopla is all about...here goes.

We, the Faculty of NMKRVDOJMC met up with Shri D P Nagaraj, Hon. Jt. Secretary, RSST, yesterday evening.

To my surprise he was nothing like I had imagined. During the 20 minute meeting DPN Sir seemed interested, receptive and supportive. He intently listened to our pitch for a Media School and our request for a Trust-mandated PR cell for NMKRVCW (and RV Group)....for 10 minutes. And then...

DPN Sir gave us sagely advise. Without quoting him word for word, what he said was something to this effect....

"Numbers, budgets, projections, benefits, MoUs...?? ..I don't see or hear you presenting any of them? Go do your homework before you come to me again."

I learnt a good lesson then. Numbers speak louder than poetry. Ideas are cheap, putting them to work can be prohibitive.Unless my research is water-tight, I won't get very far with my pet projects. So, it's back to the drawing board for us.

DPN Sir also taught class with examples. "Take Univ C for that matter, they have 16000 students on land which is 1/10th the area of what RSST owns in Bangalore. But they are doing better because they think out-of-the-box. Gender-specificity is an obsolete business game-plan. We need to include a large market of male outliers" ......Very True.

But the paradox is how many of us NMKRVCW Faculty & Students think like DPN Sir? How many of us dare to be bigger, better? We can; if we mind...it's really not so difficult. What's deficient is the willingness to change.

Change processes, products, technology...NOT people. They are our greatest asset. In doing so...we don't trample egos. But we vote for change nevertheless. Some may refuse to join us, many others might jump on to our bandwagon.

If we are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. Each of our 30 plus departments will be a Centre of Excellence (CoE). I know that sounds like a pipe-dream today. But as I always say...today is the first day of the rest of my life....Change is the only Constant in the Universe.

Good Luck with your exams. Happy Dasara!!

Luv

Prof. Iron Man






No comments:

Post a Comment